Whisk ½ cup of the water with soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, ground ginger, garlic powder and rice vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
Stir cornstarch with remaining ¼ cup water in a small bowl until no lumps remain. Stir into soy sauce mixture and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Set aside ½ cup of the sauce to cool. Store remaining sauce in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Toss chicken with 3 tablespoons of the sauce in a large bowl. Place on one side of the prepared baking sheet. Pour any remaining sauce from bowl over chicken. Place pan in oven and bake for 10 minutes.
In the same bowl, toss carrots, peppers, zucchini and broccoli with oil and 3 tablespoons of the sauce. Remove pan from oven and spread vegetables on empty side of the baking sheet. Place back in oven and bake until vegetables are tender crisp and chicken is cooked through, 20 – 25 minutes.
Serve chicken and vegetables alongside rice. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons of sauce and sprinkle with green onion and sesame seeds.
- Serves: 5
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) water, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) soy sauce
- 4 tsp (20 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1 large carrot, sliced diagonally into ¼” thick coins (200 g)
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced (180 g)
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets (about 5 cups florets)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 10 chicken drumsticks (900 g)
- 5 cups (1.25 L) cooked rice
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) toasted sesame seeds