Trim any excess fat from chicken. Heat oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until golden tinged, 2 to 3 min a side. Meanwhile mince garlic and coarsely chop olives.
When chicken is golden, scatter with garlic, olives and balsamic. Add 1/4 cup (60 mL) water. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 6 minutes. Turn chicken and continue cooking for 6 to 8 more minutes and internal temperature registers 165°F (74°C).
While chicken is cooking, slice tomatoes into quarters and squeeze out all seeds and juice. Chop tomato pulp. It should measure about 3 cups (375 mL). Stir capers, sugar, dried basil and oregano, onions and fresh basil into tomatoes. When chicken is cooked, remove to a plate and cover to keep warm.
Immediately turn heat to high and add tomato mixture to sauce remaining in pan. Stir constantly just until tomatoes are hot. Spoon over chicken and pour pan juices over top. Garnish with fresh basil.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely-chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar, preferably white balsamic
- 4 ripe, but firm large tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) capers
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each of dried leaf basil and oregano
- 2 green onions, thinly-sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely-chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water