Add cooked brown rice and chicken to a large mixing bowl. Add the red onion, Romano cheese, basil, fennel, garlic powder, chile pepper flakes and salt and mix well to combine. Divide into six equal portions measuring a generous ⅓ cup each. Shape into patties approximately 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick.
Preheat grill to medium high. Place burgers on top rack, close lid and grill 15 minutes on one side or until browned. Turn burgers over and carefully top each with 2 Tbsp (30 ml) mozzarella cheese. Close lid and grill another 7–10 minutes or until a thermometer set in centre of burgers registers 165°F (74°C). Remove from grill.
Place hamburger buns cut side down on grill and toast lightly. Remove from grill. Spread each half with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) pizza or pasta sauce.
Top bottom of bun with 1/6th of the baby spinach followed by a slice each of red onion and tomato. Top with a grilled chicken burger and close bun.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) extra lean ground chicken
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red onions, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Romano cheese, grated
- 1 tsp (5 mL) basil, dried
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) fennel seed, whole, crushed
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) hot red chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) mozzarella cheese, part skim, 16.5% MF, grated
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) pizza or pasta sauce, ready to serve
- 1 cup (250 mL) baby spinach, fresh
- 6 tomato slices
- 6 onion slices
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns