Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Remove the giblets and neck from the chicken. Place the chicken on a rack in a small roasting pan.
Combine the salt, fresh ground pepper, fennel seed, marjoram, garlic, half of the olive oil, wine, lemon peel, fresh lemon juice and sun dried tomatoes in food processor. Pour over outside and into the inside cavity of the chicken. Place lemon halves in the bird cavity.
Cut the onion in chunks and the mushrooms in half. Mince the pitted olives. Sprinkle around the outside of the bird.
Put the chicken in the oven and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the chicken breast reads 180°F (82°C).
Boil water in saucepan and stir in remaining olive oil and couscous with a fork; add lemon juice and fresh minced basil. Season with pepper to taste.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) whole chicken
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fennel seed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) marjoram, dried
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) mushrooms, halved
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) black olives, large, pitted and sliced
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) whole wheat couscous
- 1 onion(s), small, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) basil, fresh, minced
For a complete meal, serve with garlic herb wholegrain couscous and steamed baby carrots.