Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Peel and cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes. Cut the onion in half vertically. Peel and cut each half into four chunks each lengthwise. Cut the parsnips into 1 inch (2.5 cm) chunks. Add vegetables to a large bowl with the chicken breasts. Toss with olive oil, rosemary, thyme, basil, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Spread out on large baking sheet or roasting pan. Roast for 45 minutes until cooked through or chicken reaches internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Flip pieces over during cooking.
Make the honey red wine reduction while the chicken and vegetables are roasting by combining the balsamic vinegar, red wine and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half (about 20-25 minutes).
To serve place roast chicken and vegetables on a platter. Drizzle sauce over. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 4 cups (1 L) butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 white onion, large
- 4 parsnips, large
- 1 1/2 lb (0.7 kg) bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) rosemary, dried
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) thyme, dried
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) basil, dried
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) sea salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry red wine
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley, fresh, chopped, for garnish
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red wine vinegar
For a gluten free version make sure you choose a balsamic vinegar without added wheat or gluten. Alternately, use red wine vinegar.