Heat olive oil in large pot with tight fitting lid. Saute the diced onion and sliced celery for a few minutes.
Cut potatoes, carrots and chicken breast into uniform chunks about 1 ½ inches (4 cm) in size and add to pot. Add chicken broth to the pot with the dried thyme, oregano, black pepper and bay leaves and stir. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer with lid on for 45 minutes.
Discard bay leaves. To thicken, mix cornstarch with the cold water in a medium size bowl. Stir until well dissolved and cornstarch has no lumps. Then stir in ½ cup (125 ml) of the hot chicken broth from the pot and stir to dissolve. Add to the stew and mix well to combine. Simmer another 5 or until it thickens.
To serve ladle into bowls. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serves: 10
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) onions, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) celery, sliced (include some leaves)
- 6 potatoes, medium, peel on
- 3 cups (750 mL) carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2.2 lb (1 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups (1 L) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL) thyme, dried
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) oregano, dried
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cold water
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) parsley, fresh, chopped, for garnish