Remove skin from chicken legs. Add to large soup pot that has a tight fitting lid. Pour cold water over and add the ground turmeric.
Prepare soup vegetables. Chop onion, slice celery and carrots, mince garlic, shred cabbage, and dice potatoes. Add to soup pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool. Once cool, remove meat from bones. Discard bones, cut meat into bite-size pieces, and add back to soup pot.
Stir in dry pasta noodle of your choice
Season broth with salt, pepper, dried oregano, basil, and sugar. Simmer an additional 15 minutes.
To serve, garnish with fresh minced parsley.
- Serves: 15
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 skinless chicken legs and back, large
- 12 cups (3 L) cold water
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) turmeric, ground (optional)
- 1 onion, large
- 2 stalks celery, medium
- 2 carrots, medium
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups (500 mL) green cabbage, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) potatoes, with skin, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat egg white noodles
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly-ground
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) oregano, dried
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) basil, dried
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley, fresh, chopped, for garnish
This recipe was tested with “Catelli Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Egg White Noodles.”
Recipe doubles and freezes well. Freeze in smaller portions for portable lunches.
Add in-season vegetables of your choice. Spring and summer additions could be tender cuts of asparagus, baby carrots or spinach and/or sliced zucchini.