Cut green onion into chunks and add to bowl of a blender or food processor. Prepare lemon peel (zest), fresh lemon juice and add with fresh mint (include stems), cider vinegar, olive oil, honey and freshly ground black pepper. Blend on high until very smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
Reserve half of this vinaigrette to dress the salad (½ cup - 125 mL). Pour other half over chicken thighs in a large zip lock bag and seal. Use your hands to massage marinade into chicken pieces. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour and preferably overnight.
Preheat grill over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from bag and place on top shelf of bbq/grill. Grill 8-10 minutes on each side or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Cooking time will vary based on the size of thigh pieces. Remove from grill and slice grilled chicken into long strips. Set aside.
Meanwhile, add arugula and radicchio to a bowl and toss with ¼ cup (60 mL) of the reserved marinade - dressing. Set aside.
Crumble feta cheese and set aside.
To serve, spread salad over bottom of dinner plates. Top with sliced grilled chicken. Garnish each plate with crumbled feta, fresh sliced radish and a sprig or two of fresh mint. Serve with the rest of the reserved mint magic vinaigrette.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 green onion, fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice, fresh
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mint, fresh
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) honey
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 8 cups (2 L) arugula (rocket)
- 2 cups (500 mL) radicchio, raw, shredded
- 4 radishes, large, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 sprigs mint, fresh (optional garnish)
You can often get a clump of mint from a friend. Put it in a spot where it is okay for it to spread. It likes partial shade or sun so it is flexible!
I tested this recipe using a local garlic flavoured honey but use whatever you have on hand.