Add ground chicken and an egg to a large bowl. Sprinkle over large flake rolled oats, minced garlic, diced onion, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, fresh minced thyme leaves, paprika, nutmeg, red hot chili pepper flakes, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Use clean hands to mix very well.
Use a 1/4 cup (60 ml) measure and shape ten portions into 2-inch (5 cm) patties. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to help the patties stay together better during cooking.
Coat a large non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray or vegetable oil. Arrange a single layer of patties and pan fry over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°F (74°C).
- Serves: 10
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) lean ground chicken
- 1 egg(s), medium
- 1 cup (250 mL) large-flake rolled oats
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion(s), finely diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) thyme, fresh, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) hot red chili pepper flakes, (optional)
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
A healthier lower fat and sodium alternative to processed sausage and bacon.
Burger size is 5 x 1/2 cup (125 ml portions). Meatballs are 20 x 2 Tbsp (30 ml) portions.