Cook brown rice according to package directions in unsalted water. Place in a large bowl (3.5 quarts/L) that will accommodate the layered salad. A clear glass bowl allows everyone to see the layers. Pour in ⅓ cup (80 mL) of the Italian dressing. Sprinkle with sliced green onions, cumin, chili powder and fresh lime juice and mix together.
To create layered salad, mix rice evenly spreading rice mixture on bottom and cover with tomatoes. Next, layer the chicken breast and beans. Scatter grated cheese and sliced black olives. Top with pepper strips. Pour remaining ⅓ cup (80 mL) Italian dressing over top. Don't toss. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
To serve, place sliced avocado on top. Then, make a mound of sour cream in centre and spoon salsa around sour cream. Garnish with cilantro.
- Serves: 10
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken breasts, cooked, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown rice, long grain
- 2/3 cups (170 mL) Italian dressing
- 1 cup (250 mL) green onions, sliced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chile powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin, ground
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice, fresh
- 1 yellow pepper, large, cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, large, cut into strips
- 3 tomatoes, medium, cut into wedges
- 2 cups (500 mL) pinto beans, canned, drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) black olives, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) salsa
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) light sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cilantro, sprigs
A simple make-ahead recipe that is both attractive and delicious. It is also a good take along dish for your next barbecue or beach party.
Try quinoa or millet instead of the brown rice.
If desired, serve with additional sour cream, salsa and grated cheese.