Lightly coat the bottom of a large wide saucepan with oil or spray. Add the chicken and cook over medium-high heat until golden, about 3 minutes a side. Remove to a bowl. Add the sausage and cook until lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Both will be cooked more later. Add to the chicken.
While chicken and sausage are cooking, coarsely chop the onion. After removing sausages from the pan, add the onions and a little oil if necessary. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the garlic. Stir often for 3 minutes. Stir in the celery and pepper.
Then add the entire contents of the can of tomatoes or the fresh tomatoes. Increase heat to medium. Coarsely break up canned tomatoes. Sprinkle with all the seasonings and stir in. While this is coming to a boil, slice the chicken and sausage into bite-size pieces and stir into the sauce along with any juices that have collected on the plate. Once it comes to a boil, lower heat if necessary so sauce boils gently. Cook, uncovered and stirring often, until sauce is as thick as you like, about 15 minutes. Stir in parsley and toss with pasta.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast(s)
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 hot italian turkey sausage
- 1 red onion(s), large
- 1 white onion, large
- 4 cloves garlic, minced4 cloves
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper(s), large, chopped
- 28 oz (795 g) plum tomatoes, canned
- 6 tomato(es), large, fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano, dried
- 1 tsp (5 mL) thyme, dried
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, ground
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cumin, ground
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) parsley, coarsely chopped
- 12 oz (345 g) fettuccine, cooked
- 12 oz (345 g) spaghetti, cooked