Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place noodles in a large bowl and cover with water. Let soak for 30 minutes or until noodles are tender.
Set instant pot to sauté and heat oil. Add onion and ginger to pot, flat side down. Cook without moving, until charred in some spots, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, star anise, cardamom, peppercorns, coriander and fennel seeds to pot and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in fish sauce, brown sugar and 2 cups of the water. Add chicken to pot and top with remaining 8 cups of water.
Place lid on pot and seal. Ensure valve is closed. Set to manual for 20 minutes. When time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes then turn valve to release any remaining steam.
Remove lid from pot and carefully take chicken out of liquid, it will be very tender.
Strain broth and discard spices and vegetables. Return broth to pot and set instant pot to sauté. Bring broth to a simmer and season with salt. Skim off any fat from surface.
Remove chicken from bones and discard skins. Cut into bite size pieces.
Drain and rinse noodles. Divide amongst bowls and top with chicken. Pour broth into bowls and sprinkle with bean sprouts and green onions. Serve with your choice of garnishes.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 450 g medium flat rice noodles
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and halved (240 g)
- 2 inch piece of ginger, unpeeled and halved (40 g)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 star anise
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp (5 mL) white peppercorns
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) fennel seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 10 cups (2.5 L) water, divided
- 1 whole chicken (1300 g)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1.5 cups (250 mL) bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 bunch mint
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red chili, thinly sliced
- Hoisin sauce
- Chili Garlic Sauce