Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
In a large non-stick skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink on the outside, about 6 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and add the celery and carrots; sauté for 8 minutes until softened.
Add the lemon zest, thyme and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the butter. Once melted add the flour and stir until toasted, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the wine until there are no lumps of flour. Add the stock, chicken and peas. Season with salt and pepper. Bring a boil, and then remove from the heat.
Grease the inside of the aluminum tin and dust lightly with flour.
Lightly flour a clean surface and roll out the dough until it is 1/8 of an inch thick. Cut out 8-7 inch circles. Line the bottom of the aluminum tins with a dough round, don’t worry if there is a small overlap. Prick the bottom and place them into the oven for 10 minutes.
Remove and divide the pot pie filling between pastries. Top with remaining dough rounds. Crimp or seal the edge of the dough in a decorative way. Make a small hole in the top of the crust using a sharp knife to allow steam out. Wrap the edges of each pot pie with tin foil to prevent burning.
Place the pot pies back into the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until the entire crust is golden.
Let the pies rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
Individual Lemony Pot Pies:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces 1/2 inch (1.25 cm)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) peas, frozen
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) thyme, dried
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) butter
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 2 cups (500 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 prepared pie pastry, 1-lb ball