Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
Add the celery root and apple to a large pot of cold water. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover the pot and continue to cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink. Break it up with the side of a wooden spoon as you continue to cook. Once no longer pink add the carrot, celery, onion and tomatoes. Season with a little salt and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 6 minutes.
Add the oregano, chili flakes, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon and stock to the skillet with the chicken. Stir until the ingredients are completely combined and season with salt and pepper.
Drain the celery root and apple and mash until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Line the bottom of a baking dish with the chicken mixture. Top that with an even layer of corn kernels and finally the celery root and apple mash. Sprinkle the cheese over top of the dish.
Bake for 20 minutes and then broil on high for 2-4 minutes until golden on top.
Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) lean ground chicken
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Spanish onions, finely diced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded, finely diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) oregano, dried
- 1 pinch hot red chili pepper flakes
- 8 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (250 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 3 cups (750 mL) corn kernels, frozen
- 2 celery roots, medium, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) old cheddar cheese, grated
- flat leaf parsley, for garnish