Season chicken with salt. Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium heat and cook chicken until skin is golden, about 5 minutes per side. Remove to plate.
Add onion to pan and sauté until translucent, 4 - 5 minutes. Add carrot and chorizo to pan and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in barley and lightly toast for 1 minute. Stir in harissa and cook for another minute. Add passata, broth and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove lid and cook for another 5 minutes until barley is soft and chicken is cooked through. Stir in kale during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, halved and sliced
- 125 g cured chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pearl barley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) harissa paste
- 1.5 cups (250 mL) tomato passata
- 2 cups (500 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) kale, removed from stem and chopped