Rinse the canned lentils under cold running water and leave to drain. Alternately, use 2 cups (500 mL) of cooked from-scratch lentils. Add to a large salad bowl.
Dice the cooked chicken, dice onion, cut tomatoes in half, diced red pepper and cut cucumber into quarters length-wise and slice into smaller triangles. Add to bowl and toss.
Pour olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon juice over salad and toss. Top with crumbled feta, dried oregano and freshly ground black pepper and toss again. Garnish with chopped parsley (optional garnish).
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- 2 cups (500 mL) lentils, cooked & drained
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken, breast, cooked, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red onion, fresh, diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) cherry or grape tomatoes, red, halved
- 1 pepper, red, sweet, diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, quartered length-wise, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 cup (250 mL) feta cheese, crumbled (about 175 g)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) oregano, fresh
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) oregano, dried
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley, fresh, minced (optional garnish)
Unlike most dried legumes, lentils don’t need to be soaked before cooking and they still offer similar protein, fibre and numerous health benefits. Pack any extras into containers for tomorrow's grab and go lunch.