Dice the onion and the green and red peppers and set aside separately.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground chicken and diced onion. Use back of spoon to break ground chicken into smaller pieces. Stir and saute until chicken is cooked through and the onion is lightly browned. Set aside.
Spray a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with vegetable oil cooking spray. Add frozen hash browns, chili powder and the diced red and green peppers. Stir in the cooked chicken mixture.
Combine the sour cream, water and salsa in a medium bowl. Pour over contents in the slow cooker and mix well. Top with the shredded cheese, sliced jalapeno and cilantro (optional garnish).
Cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours or on HIGH for 1-2 hours. Serve with additional salsa and sour cream if desired.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, raw, diced
- 1 red pepper, raw, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) ground chicken, lean, raw
- 6 cups (1.5 L) hash brown fried potatoes, diced, frozen
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream, 14% MF
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) salsa, ready-to-serve
- 2 cups (500 mL) Tex Mex cheese blend, shredded
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, raw, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cilantro, raw, chopped (optional garnish)