Heat 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Cut the chicken into ½ inch (1.25 cm) chunks. Add to the pan and sauté, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through.
Pour remaining tablespoon (15 mL) of olive oil and the red wine vinegar over chicken. Stir and scrape bottom of pan. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool.
Rinse the beans under cold running water and leave to drain. Add drained beans to large bowl.
Prepare salad vegetables. Quarter cherry tomatoes, slice green onions (whites and part of greens), dice zucchini and red pepper. The size is up to you but should suit eating with a fork. Add to salad bowl and mix well.
Stir in the warm chicken and all the pan juices and toss.
Top with crumbled feta, minced fresh oregano & parsley and freshly ground black pepper and toss. Place in the refrigerator for at least a half hour for flavours to mingle.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) chicken breast(s), cut into 1/2 inch (2.5 cm) chunks
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 can bean medley (mix of kidney beans, chickpeas, romano beans and black eyed peas), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (500 mL) cherry tomatoes, cut in quarters
- 2 green onion(s), medium, sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) zucchini, chopped
- 1 red pepper(s), chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) oregano, fresh, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley, fresh, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
This recipe is also good with cooked green/brown lentils.
Rinse canned legumes under cold running water to remove starch and some of the sodium.