Trim any fat from chicken. Heat oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and stir frequently until they start to brown, about 3 minutes. Push to the side of the pan. Add chicken and cook until golden tinged, about 3 minutes a side.
Meanwhile chop the garlic and onion. Finely chop the jalapeno and add all after removing chicken from the pan. Stir often for 3 minutes, then add broth. Return chicken to the pan and sprinkle with paprika, oregano, cumin and sugar. Grate lime peel over top. Slice lime in half and squeeze the juice over all. Stir in the pepper and turn the chicken.
Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 15 minutes. Turn chicken and stir vegetables. Continue simmering, uncovered, until chicken feels springy when pressed, about 15 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Stir in half the mint. Serve over rice and sprinkle with remaining mint. Covered and refrigerated, leftovers will keep well at least 2 days.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast(s)
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cumin seeds
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 onion(s), chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL) smoked paprika (dulce)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano, dried
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin, ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime
- 1 orange pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper(s), chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mint, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cilantro, fresh, chopped