Trim away excess fat from chicken.
Turn condensed soup into the bowl of a slow cooker and turn cooker to high. Add salsa and spices. Let it heat while you chop the onion and pepper. Before adding vegetables, stir salsa mixture to evenly blend. Then stir in vegetables until coated.
Add chicken pieces, bone side up. Push to the bottom of the pot, submerging as much as possible. Then spoon some of the mixture over the chicken. Cover and cook on high 4 hours or on low for 6 hours. Excellent over rice or pasta. Consider adding peas or black beans to the rice, sprinkling with chopped coriander and slices of avocado. Any leftover sauce works well on pasta with a little cheese added.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- 10 oz (285 g) condensed cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup
- 1 cup (250 mL) salsa, preferably hot
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chile powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cumin, ground
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sweet paprika or smoked paprika (dulce)
- 1 onion, large, chopped
- 1 green or yellow pepper, coarsely chopped
- cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- avocado, sliced, for garnish