Clean chicken livers by separating into lobes, then trim off fat and connective tissue. Cut large livers in half.
Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add shallots and sprinkle with pepper, if using, and salt. Stir often to soften shallots, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium. Add livers and pour sherry overtop. Stir frequently until livers turn pale brown, about 5 minutes. They should still be pink inside.
Turn entire mixture into a blender and puree until smooth. Turn into a serving dish. It can be served right away or covered and refrigerated up to 2 days.
- Serves: 10
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) chicken livers
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely chopped shallots
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Szechuan peppers
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) ground white pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sherry, cognac or brandy