Cut off and discard wing tips, as they tend to burn and don’t have much meat. Discard or use for stock. Cut wings in two by separating at the joint.
Mix together curry powder, cinnamon, and onion powder, ¼ cup (60 mL) of rum, brown sugar, lemon juice, soy sauce, apple juice, oil and hot pepper sauce in large bowl or plastic zip lock bag. Add wings and mix to coat well. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours, up to 8 hours.
Remove chicken wings from sauce. Put sauce in a small pan and boil until reduced by half.
Heat grill. Grill chicken wings for approximately 10 minutes on each side or until cooked through and skin is crispy and brown. Baste with reduced sauce, and turn, as needed, to prevent burning.
Prepare pineapple by cutting off bottom and cutting down sides to remove outer layer. Cut into twelve ½ inch (1.5 cm) slices. Combine additional rum and brown sugar in small bowl. Place pineapple on grill. Baste with sugar mixture and grill 5 minutes until soft and lightly browned. Flip and baste other side again.
Serve hot wings on a platter with grilled pineapple slices.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 24 chicken wings
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) onion powder
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dark rum
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) dark rum
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) apple juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 1 pineapple, whole