Sauté ground chicken, diced onion and minced garlic with seasonings in a non-stick skillet. Use the back of a spoon to break up meat. Cook until browned and no pink remains.
Meanwhile, dice green pepper and potatoes.
Drain and rinse canned beans under cold water. Add these and remaining ingredients, except rice, to slow cooker. Mix well. Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours (or high for 2 hours) until mixture is hot and bubbling.
Cook rice according to package directions and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) extra lean ground chicken
- 2 cups (500 mL) onion(s), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tbsp (40 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cumin, ground
- 2 tsp (10 mL) oregano, dried
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper
- 1 green pepper(s)
- 2 white potatoes
- 1 can canned black beans, drained
- 1 can canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) demerara brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red wine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) green olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) seedless raisins
- 1 cup (250 mL) white rice, dry
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cilantro, fresh, chopped
An easy to make Cuban- style chili with black beans. It is often served with fluffy white rice and fried plantains.