Heat oil over medium high heat in a large pot. Add ground chicken and use the back of a spoon to break up into smaller pieces as the ground chicken browns. Sprinkle with onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oregano and 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chili powder and continue to sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Stir in the can of beans, salsa, tomato paste and water. Mix well and cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Slice potatoes leaving skin on for extra fibre and nutrients. Set aside.
Grate mozzarella cheese and set aside.
Spray crock of a slow cooker with vegetable cooking spray. To assemble casserole place two cups (500 mL) chicken chili on bottom of crock followed by a layer of half of the sliced potatoes, 2 cups (500 mL) chili, one cup (250 mL) grated cheese, the remaining sliced potatoes, 2 cups (500 mL) chili finishing with the last cup (250 mL) of cheese. Smooth down the layers as you go. Sprinkle the top with remaining oregano and chili powder. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours until potatoes are tender and dish is beginning to brown on top.
- Serves: 10
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) extra lean ground chicken
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) onion powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cumin, ground
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) oregano, fresh
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) oregano, dried
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) chilli powder
- 14 fl oz (415 mL) beans in tomato sauce, canned
- 1 cup (250 mL) salsa, ready to serve
- 5.5 fl oz (150 mL) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 3 potatoes, medium, skin on and sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) mozzarella cheese, part skim, 16.5% MF
- vegetable cooking spray