Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Hard boil the egg. Chop and set aside.
Lightly coat a deep dish pie plate (about 2 L capacity) with cooking spray and set aside.
Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil over medium high heat in non-stick pan. Add minced garlic, the sliced whites of the green onions and the diced white onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown – about 5 minutes. The green tops are used later in the recipe, so set aside.
Sprinkle with cornstarch, cumin, cinnamon, half the salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer until it starts to thicken (about 5 minutes). Stir in chopped cooked chicken and cilantro.
Puree defrosted corn in a food processor or blender until almost smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in milk and flour.
Heat remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add corn mixture and cook, stirring often to avoid any sticking, until very thick, about 10 minutes. Stir in reserved green onion tops, basil, and the remaining salt and pepper.
Arrange chicken mixture in the prepared baking dish and scatter with the chopped egg, drained capers and raisins. Spread the corn topping evenly over filling. Set the dish on a baking sheet to catch any drips and bake until golden brown and bubbly (about 30 minutes). Set aside to let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken, cooked, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 egg(s), medium
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) white onion, diced
- 6 green onion(s), sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin, ground
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cilantro, fresh, minced
- 3 cups (750 mL) corn niblets, thawed
- 1 cup (250 mL) 1% milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) basil, fresh, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) seedless raisins
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) capers, drained
- cooking oil spray
This tasty chicken casserole has a simple corn topping and includes interesting flavours from the capers, cinnamon, cilantro, cumin and raisins. Leftover cooked chicken is used but you can also cook fresh chicken breast or thighs for this dish. If you don't have the fresh basil it is still very good with 2 tsp (10 mL) dried basil as a substitute.