Place dry chickpeas in 1.5 liters of water in a large pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer until chickpeas are tender but not overcooked - approximately 45 minutes. Drain and set aside. (This can be done 1-2 days ahead. Keep cooked chickpeas in the fridge).
In a large pot over medium heat, add the saffron and toast for 1 minute. Add turmeric, cinnamon, chicken broth and stir. Add chicken, onions, carrots, parsnips, squash and chili pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes and zucchini. Simmer, covered, until just cooked. Add salt, cooked chickpeas, raisins and fresh minced parsley. Remove cinnamon stick.
To prepare the couscous pour 2 cups (500 mL) of boiling water into a glass serving dish with a lid. Stir in whole-grain couscous, cover and let sit 15 minutes.
To serve, place a large spoonful of couscous in the centre of each plate or shallow soup dish. Ladle broth, chicken and vegetables around couscous. Garnish with fresh parsley and a few raisins.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1.5 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 cup (250 mL) chickpeas, dried
- 6 cups (1.5 L) water
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) saffron
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick(s), 6 ", broken in half
- 6 cups (1.5 L) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 red onion(s), cut in 1/8ths
- 20 baby carrots
- 1 cup (250 mL) parsnip(s), diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) butternut squash, peeled, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red hot chili pepper(s), fresh, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut in 1/8ths
- 1 cup (250 mL) zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) seedless raisins
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) flat leaf parsley, fresh, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole grain couscous
- 2 cups (500 mL) water, for the couscous