Poach chicken breasts in water in covered skillet turning at least once during cooking.
Bring 2 cups of water to boil and add bulgur, cover and simmer for approximately 12 - 15 minutes (not mushy). Drain and cool in refrigerator.
When cooked, dice chicken and refrigerate.
Make dressing by whisking together, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, basil and mint (rub the herbs between fingers to crush when adding to mixture).
When chicken and bulgur are both cool, add apricots, currants, cucumber, and mix well. Mix in dressing. Let salad sit in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless chicken breasts (approximately 3 breasts)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, for poaching
- 1 cup (250 mL) bulgur wheat (cracked wheat)
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried apricots cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) currants
- 1 cup (250 mL) English cucumber, cubed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried mint
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) dried basil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) chopped garlic