Heat oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Add the sausages and sear on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a clean plate. Add onion, garlic and sweet potato to the skillet and sauté for 5 minutes.
Stir in butter beans, frozen corn, peas, brown sugar, Herbes de Provence, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
Stir in 2 cups (500 mL) of water and scrape up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Add the sausage back to the skillet, cover and simmer the succotash until sweet potato is tender, 15-20 minutes. Stir in butter. Preheat broiler to high.
Use the skillet, (if oven proof) or transfer succotash into a roasting dish, and broil succotash for 5 minutes until browned.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) chicken sausage
- 1 small Spanish onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 – 16 oz can butter beans (also called dry lima beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen corn
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) golden brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Herbes de Provences
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
This recipe is labeled as gluten free. Please confirm with your local supermarket or butcher that the sausages you purchase do not contain gluten if you have a sensitivity.