Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook onions, peppers and mushrooms until onions are translucent and peppers are softened, 6 – 7 minutes. Add chicken, stirring to break up and cook until no pinks remains, about 8 minutes.
Stir in oregano, sugar, salt, chili flakes, crushed tomatoes, broth and water. Bring to a boil. Stir in lasagna pieces; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, 17 – 18 minutes. Stir in cream and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
If broiling, ladle soup into oven-safe bowls and top with mozzarella. Broil until golden and bubbly.
- Serves: 10
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1.5 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 227 g mushrooms, sliced
- 450 g ground chicken
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- 1.5 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) chili flakes
- 796 ml can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 L) sodium reduced chicken broth
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 12 dry lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 35% cream
- 1.25 cups (250 mL) grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded mozzarella, optional
Tip: Lighten up this soup by replacing the cream with milk.