Lightly grease a 3 quart (2.84 Liter) casserole dish.
In large skillet over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add shallots to skillet and sauté 1 minute. Add chicken strips and cook 5 minutes more, or until cooked through. Season chicken with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
Place a layer of bread cubes in the bottom of the dish. In alternating layers, place chicken, spinach, sundried tomatoes, cheese and bread, ending with a sprinkling of bread on top.
In large bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and nutmeg with a whisk. Pour mixture over the casserole, cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). While oven heats, remove casserole from refrigerator and warm to room temperature. Place casserole in oven and bake 35 – 40 minutes, until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes before serving. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 1/2 lb (0.7 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cayenne pepper
- 10 oz (285 g) frozen spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 10 slices white bread, cut into cubes
- 2 cups (500 mL) Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) nutmeg