In a large crockpot, add chicken stock, cubed chicken breasts, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Next, add canned tomatoes. Remove stem and seeds from jalapeno and green bell peppers. Add to pot along with the onion, garlic, black beans, corn and tomato paste. Mix well. Turn crockpot on high and cook for approximately 4.5 hours.
When ready to serve: Add 1¾ cup cheese and 1/8 cup cilantro to the soup, reserving some cheese and cilantro for garnish. Stir will.
To serve, ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with crushed tortilla chips, reserved cheese and cilantro to taste.
- Serves: 4
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 28 oz (795 g) can diced tomatoes
- 4-6 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 oz (430 g) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen corn
- 1/2 cups (125 mL) tomato paste
- 8 oz (230 g) Cotija cheese
- 8 oz (230 g) Pepperjack cheese, reserving some for garnish
- 1/2 cups (125 mL) cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste.
- tortilla chips
For added variation: Try serving over rice for a hearty meal.
To thicken soup, if desired, you can add strips of flour tortilla, which will dissolve into the soup to thicken the broth. To dilute soup, add more chicken broth.