Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a 13- by 9-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
For the filling, melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Stir in flour, ¼ teaspoon (0.25 mL) salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in ricotta and set aside.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add spinach, chicken, 1 cup (250 mL) mozzarella, and sundried tomatoes. Stir in thickened ricotta cheese sauce.
Using a teaspoon, stuff manicotti with chicken and cheese mixture and arrange in the greased dish. Top manicotti with tomato sauce and extra cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 1 hour or until manicotti is tender. Uncover, and divide manicotti between plates. Serve with salad.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 8 oven ready manicotti shells
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 1% milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fat free ricotta
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 oz (145 g) frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded smoked Mozzarella
- 10 sundried tomato halves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) prepared tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) each salt and pepper
- cooking spray