Add chicken broth to soup pot along with the bone-in chicken thighs. Heat over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from pot to a plate to cool. Keep broth on a low simmer while preparing other ingredients.
Heat the butter and olive oil in a skillet. Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add to the skillet and sauté, stirring until soft – about 4 minutes. Stir into the soup pot.
Grate beets and add to the soup along with the diced potato and minced sage. Remove skin and bones from chicken. Dice into ½ inch (1.25 cm) pieces and stir into the soup. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low heat until potatoes are tender.
Ladle into bowls and garnish with the shredded cheese and a few fresh sage leaves (optional garnish).
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 7 cups (1.75 L) low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 lb (0.4 kg) bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion(s), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) beets, grated
- 2 cups (500 mL) potato(es), peel on, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sage, fresh, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Italian five cheese blend
- sage, fresh, optional garnish
If you want a gluten-free version make sure you use a gluten-free chicken broth.