Stir 4 cups of the chicken broth with pumpkin puree in a measuring cup until smooth. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium high. Add chicken and cook until golden, about 7-8 minutes. Season with salt and herbes de province.
Stir in orzo. Toast for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium.
Add one cup of the broth mixture to orzo and stir until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding a half cup of the mixture at a time, stirring often between additions, until liquid is absorbed. Cook until orzo is tender and mixture is creamy. If orzotto is too thick, stir in the additional ½ cup broth left over until loosened but not soupy.
Sprinkle with cheese and herbes de province if using and serve.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 4.5 cups (1 L) low-sodium chicken broth, (4 cups and 0.5 cups divided)
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned pure pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into half pieces
- 1 tsp (5 mL) herbes de province
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) orzo
- Shaved pecorino cheese for garnish, optional
- 1 tsp (5 mL) herbes de province for garnish, optional