Remove any visible fat from chicken. Pour broth into a wide frying pan and set over medium heat. While it is coming to the boil add soya sauce, sugar, sesame oil, basil and hot-garlic chili sauce.
Slice chicken into wide strips. Stir into boiling sauce. Cover. Slice pepper into bite-size strips and stir into sauce. Cover and reduce heat so mixture just simmers. Simmer until chicken is almost cooked, about 8 minutes. Stir often.
Stir cornstarch with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) cold water until completely dissolved. Pour into chicken mixture and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in fresh cilantro and mint and spoon over rice.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 8 thighs
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soya sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each of sugar and sesame oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each of dried basil and hot-garlic chili sauce
- 1 red pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each of coarsely chopped fresh cilantro and mint leaves
- cooked rice (optional)