- Cut the chicken breast into bite size pieces. Melt 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of butter in a large non-stick soup pot. Sauté chicken in butter until lightly browned and thoroughly cooked. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Melt the rest of the butter and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent – about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove stems from broccoli (about 4 heads). Separate heads into small bite size florets and set aside. Peel, halve and chop the stems. Add chopped stems to the soup pot with the diced potatoes and sauté another 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth, water, salt, pepper, nutmeg and tarragon. Bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are tender; about 10 minutes. Puree soup.
- Stir in the cooked chicken breast and broccoli florets and simmer until florets are tender crisp – about 10 minutes.
- To serve ladle into bowls and garnish with grated Emmental "Swiss" cheese.
A creamy soup without the cream! Leave the peels on the potatoes for extra fibre and nutrients. If using a ready-made chicken broth you may need less salt. A homemade broth is usually less salty. This recipe was made with 4 full stalks of fresh broccoli.