Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Prepare a large baking pan (16 x 12 inches – 40 x 30 cm) by spraying with vegetable oil cooking spray or coating with oil.
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Dice the onions and cut the chicken breast into bite-size pieces – about ½ inch (1.25 cm) diced. Add to the skillet and cook through and until lightly browned - about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Spread 1 cup (250 mL) of sauce over bottom of baking pan. Top with the frozen pierogies arranging them flat side down.
Spread the package of defrosted spinach evenly over top of pierogies. It isn’t necessary to wring the spinach out.
Grate cheese. Mix in a bowl with herb seasoning. Sprinkle casserole with half the cheese.
Sprinkle chicken and onion mixture evenly over.
Pour over remaining 2 cups (500 mL) of Marinara sauce. Finish by sprinkling remaining cheese and herb mixture over top.
Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until heated through, pierogies are tender and cheese is lightly browned.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) onions, diced
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces 1/2 inch (1.25 cm)
- 3 cups (750 mL) Marinara pasta sauce, low-sodium
- 2 lb (1 kg) potato and cheese pierogies, frozen
- 10 oz (285 g) frozen spinach, defrosted
- 2 cups (500 mL) cheddar cheese, low-fat, shredded
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) low-sodium sun-dried tomato & herb seasoning
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) your favourite low-sodium seasoning
Pierogies are already cooked and don't have to be boiled before using.