In a large heavy soup pot, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil over moderately low heat. Stir often until onion is softened.
Add chili pepper, minced fresh ginger, sliced celery and carrots and continue to sauté until the onion and celery are softened.
Stir in chicken broth and peanut butter and continue cooking. Stir often to dissolve the peanut butter. Cook until carrots are tender - about 30 minutes.
Stir in chicken, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, 1 cup (250 mL) milk, cilantro (coriander) and sesame seeds. Heat over low heat until hot, but not boiling.
Purée soup until smooth using a blender or food processor.
Just before serving mix together the light sour cream and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of milk using a small whisk to remove any lumps. Garnish each soup bowl with sour cream mixture drizzled decoratively over top.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) chicken breast(s), cooked, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion(s), diced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) hot red chili pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ginger, peeled, minced
- 1 celery, sliced
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) carrot(s), sliced
- 3 cups (750 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) peanut butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sesame oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) 2% milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) 2% milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cilantro, fresh, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) light sour cream
Substitute fresh parsley or another herb for the cilantro. Try a mixture of carrots and squash, pumpkin and zucchini (equaling 1lb).