Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Prepare the orange peel (zest) and fresh squeezed orange juice. Mix with a tablespoon (15 mL) of the olive oil and the thyme in shallow baking dish. Place chicken breasts in dish with marinade and turn to coat.
Mix brown sugar, smoked paprika, cinnamon, cayenne and sea salt on a dinner plate using a fork. Spread spices out. Remove chicken from marinade and use the fork to push each chicken breast into the spice mixture. Coat both sides. Place back in baking dish with the marinade. Cover dish and marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes, or longer, for extra flavour.
Roast 45 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F (74°C).
Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add minced garlic and sauté a minute or two. Add baby spinach and stir for 2 minutes or just until wilted.
To serve, place roasted spiced chicken over wilted spinach. Spoon over pan juices. Garnish with a sprig of fresh thyme.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 tsp (10 mL) orange zest
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) orange juice , fresh
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) thyme, fresh
- 1 tsp (5 mL) thyme, dried
- 1 3/4 lb (0.8 kg) bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) demerara brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) smoked paprika (dulce)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cayenne pepper, ground
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) sea salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 oz (285 g) baby spinach
- 4 sprigs thyme, fresh (optional garnish)
Remove thyme leaves from stem by placing the sprig of thyme between your thumb and forefinger and pulling towards the base. Discard the central woody stalk.