If using a whole chicken, slice into serving size pieces. Save wings and back for making broth. Pull off and discard all skin. Trim off fat. Cut breasts into three pieces each.
Pour chicken broth into a large wide saucepan and set over medium heat. Coarsely chop tomatoes and add pulp, juice and seeds to the broth. Finely chop garlic and coarsely chop onion and stir into the broth as soon as they are chopped. Sprinkle with cumin, coriander, fennel and salt and stir to evenly mix.
Break open the cardamon pods and add the seeds. Break cinnamon sticks in half and add. Measure out prunes, then slice into 2 or 3 pieces each and stir into the sauce along with the olives. Reduce heat to low.
Add chicken pieces and turn to coat. Then push them into the sauce. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Then turn the chicken and stir the mixture. Cover and continue simmering until chicken feels springy when pressed, another 20 to 30 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 165°F (74°C). Remove and discard cinnamon sticks.
Serve over couscous or rice scattered with coarsely chopped mint. Any leftovers will keep well in the refrigerator least 2 days and they also freeze well.
Real Deal Tagine: To cook in a traditional tagine pot, prepare recipe up to the end of point 3. Place chicken pieces in the tagine, bone-side down, opening up thighs as much as possible. Firmly press down on chicken to cover the tagine bottom as much as possible. Turn hot tomato mixture over top and evenly spread out. Add the tagine top and bake in a preheated 325°F (160°F) oven until chicken feels springy when lightly tapped, one hour to one hour and 10 minutes.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 whole chicken
- 8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken broth
- 4 tomato(es), large, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, large, minced
- 1 onion(s), large, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cumin, ground
- 2 tsp (10 mL) coriander, ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fennel seed, (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 5 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon stick(s)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon, ground
- 1 cup (250 mL) prunes, dried, pitted
- 1/2 - 1 cup (250 mL) green olives, preferably pitted (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mint, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cilantro, fresh, chopped