Place chicken in bottom of the slow cooker.
Wash and dice beets. Add to slow cooker with cold water. Add onion, garlic, bay leaves, cranberries, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, brown sugar, dill and caraway seed.
Cook on low heat 8-12 hours. Discard bay leaves. Remove chicken from soup to cool. Remove meat from the bone. Shred or dice and add back to the soup.
To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig or two of the fresh dill. If you want to be more creative mix the sour cream with a little milk and swirl artfully onto the top of the bowls. Then crown with a dill sprig.
- Serves: 10
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 2/3 lb (0.8 kg) skinless chicken legs and back
- 8 cups (2 L) cold water
- 2 lb (1 kg) beets
- 1 cup (250 mL) red onion(s), chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup (250 mL) cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) dill, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) caraway seed
- 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream, 14 % MF
- 10 sprigs dill, fresh