Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Place pie shell in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden.
Melt butter (or margarine) in a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add sliced onions and balsamic vinegar. Cover and cook, stirring regularly, over medium low heat until onions brown and caramelize.
Sprinkle the chicken, chopped tomato and ¼ cup (60 mL) of minced fresh basil over the bottom of the pie shell. Save the extra tablespoon for the garnish. Top with the grated gouda cheese.
Beat eggs with plain yogurt and whole-wheat flour. Pour over quiche. Top with grated Romano cheese and a good sprinkle of paprika and the remainder of the minced basil.
Place in oven and bake until browned and puffed up – about 45 minutes. The quiche is done when a knife inserted in the centre of the pie comes out clean (none is sticking to the knife). Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 cup (250 mL) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked, diced
- 1 pie shell, frozen, ready to bake (9" / 23 cm)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) onions, sliced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) basil, fresh, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) basil, fresh, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 3 eggs, medium
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) plain yogurt, 1-2% MF
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Romano cheese, freshly grated
- paprika, pinch
This baked egg pie is an easy main course for any meal. You can also make it without the pie shell, however coat the baking dish with butter or a non-stick spray before adding the ingredients. It will be lower in fat and sodium without the shell.