Cut the chicken breast into bite size pieces. Melt 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of butter in a large non-stick soup pot. Sauté chicken in butter until lightly browned and thoroughly cooked. Remove from pot and set aside.
Melt the rest of the butter and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent – about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Remove stems from broccoli (about 4 heads). Separate heads into small bite size florets and set aside. Peel, halve and chop the stems. Add chopped stems to the soup pot with the diced potatoes and sauté another 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add chicken broth, water, salt, pepper, nutmeg and tarragon. Bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are tender; about 10 minutes. Puree soup.
Stir in the cooked chicken breast and broccoli florets and simmer until florets are tender crisp – about 10 minutes.
To serve ladle into bowls and garnish with grated Emmental "Swiss" cheese.
- Serves: 10
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breast(s)
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion(s), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups (1 L) broccoli, stems (from 4 stalks)
- 4 cups (1 L) broccoli, cut into small florets (from same 4 stalks)
- 4 cups (1 L) potato(es), diced
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) tarragon, dried
- 2 cups (500 mL) swiss Emmental cheese, grated
A creamy soup without the cream! Leave the peels on the potatoes for extra fibre and nutrients. If using a ready-made chicken broth you may need less salt. A homemade broth is usually less salty. This recipe was made with 4 full stalks of fresh broccoli.