We found our #MPChickenHero!
The #MPChickenHero contest saw 81 Members of Parliament submit their favourite sandwich recipes in a bid to have them selected as the recipe that will be served to 10,000 people at the Great Canadian Chicken BBQ in Ottawa on July 1st.
The panel of celebrity judges included Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson, Member of Provincial Parliament John Fraser (Ottawa-South), and Kevin McHale from the Spark Street BIA.
After much deliberation, the winners were selected:
- 1st place: Dr. Robert-Falcon Ouellette from Winnipeg Centre, Manitoba.
$10,000 Grand Prize to be donated to a food bank in his riding
Recipe: Canadian Chicken Slaw Sandwich.
- 2nd place: The Hon. Jody Wilson-Raybould from Vancouver Granville, British Columbia
$5,000 Second Place Prize to be donated to a food bank in her riding
Recipe: Grilled Canadian Chicken Sandwich with Sundried Tomato Mayo
- 3rd Place: Doctor Colin Carrie from Oshawa, Ontario
$2,500 Third Place Prize to be donated to a food bank in his riding
Recipe: Great Canadian Greek Sandwich.
That's a total donation of $17,500 for three foods banks, and that's on top of the 50 cents from each sandwich or salad sold at the BBQ going to the Ottawa Food Bank.
Chicken Farmers of Canada continues to support the mission of the Ottawa Food Bank and over nearly $370,000 has been raised for this Ottawa institution since joining the fight to end hunger.
A video of the judging can be found here and the winning recipes are:
- The Canadian Chicken Slaw Sandwich
- Recipe submitted by Dr. Robert-Falcon Ouellette
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp light Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lightly toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp green onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt (or none if using regular soy)
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Pinch red chili flakes
- 1–5 oz. chicken breasts
Mix all above ingredients together in a bowl. Pour into baking dish (or sealable freezer bag) over chicken, reserving some marinade for basting. Marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- 1 head cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1T brown sugar
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Put cabbage, onion and carrot in large bowl. Mix remaining ingredients and pour into bowl. Marinate overnight in refrigerator.
Spicy Mayo Spread
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1½ tsp garlic chili sauce
Grill chicken, brushing with reserved marinade. Starting with the bottom bun; generously spread spicy mayo. Top with chicken breast and green onions. Pile high with coleslaw topping and finish with bun top.
2. Grilled Canadian Chicken Sandwiches with Sundried Tomato Mayo and Arugula
- Recipe submitted by The Hon. Jody Wilson-Raybould
- 2 Canadian Chicken breasts – deboned and skinless, butterflied
- Salt and pepper
- 8 pieces of buttered sourdough bread, lightly grilled
- Sundried tomato mayo (recipe below)
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat grill to medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook, flipping once, until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Let rest 5 minutes. Assemble sandwiches with liberal amounts of sundried tomato mayo and arugula, serve and enjoy!
Sundried Tomato Mayo
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- 2 tbsp minced Shallots (or onion)
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 2 tbsp soy Sauce
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and cool. Stir into mayo and use in Grilled Canadian Chicken Sandwiches. Reserve remainder for other uses, such as pasta salads (with leftover grilled Canadian chicken!)
3. The Great Canadian Greek Sandwich
- Recipe submitted by Dr. Colin Carrie
- 4-6 5 oz. chicken breasts
- 4-6 buns
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 large seedless cucumber, sliced
- Lettuce, chopped
- Tzatziki sauce
- Oil for brushing
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 heaping tsp oregano
- ½ tsp black ground pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
In a large freezable bag combine all marinade ingredients. Add chicken breasts and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Heat grill to med-high and brush with oil. Add breasts and cook on one side until edges are done (4-6 mins). Flip and cook another 4-5 minutes until juices run clear. Toast inside of the buns lightly. Spread tzatziki sauce on the buns. Place chicken on bottom slice. Add a slice of tomato and a slice or two of cucumber and chopped lettuce.