- Pour chicken broth into a soup pot with a lid. Add water, lime juice, nutmeg, turmeric, cumin and sugar. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add skinless, bone-in breasts with lime leaves, cover again and poach 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the soup and cool chicken. Remove and discard bones from chicken. Shred chicken breast and add back to the soup with the can of coconut milk.
- Meanwhile, boil water in kettle and then pour into bowl to cover rice noodles and soak approximately 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Slice peppers in small strips. Add peppers and baby spinach to soup and heat gently for 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide noodles between soup bowls. Ladle soup into each bowl and garnish with a sprig of fresh cilantro and a sprinkle of chopped peanuts (optional).
Turmeric gives the intense yellow colour in Thai yellow curry sauce. This recipe uses individual spices to approximate a purchased Thai yellow curry sauce. The name, "yellow" curry, is typical of Thai curry dishes, which are frequently identified solely by their color, other common types being green curry and red curry.