Heat 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Sautee until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add half of the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the chicken broth and the Better than Bouillon and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire, sage, thyme and remaining garlic, salt and pepper. Form into 1-inch meatballs. Lightly brown meatballs in a frying pan in 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil until nicely browned. Deglaze the pan and add contents to the soup pot.
In a separate pot, boil water and cook the orzo until tender. Drain and add orzo to the soup pot.
Lastly, add spinach and allow it to wilt, about 1 more minute. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with parmesan cheese.
- Serves: 8
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 cups (2 L) chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) carrots, diced
- 1 cups (250 mL) celery, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chicken bouillon
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) . ground chicken
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) breadcrumbs (preferably panko)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sage
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) orzo
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) thyme
- 4 cups (1 L) baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) Parmesan cheese (optional)
Orzo must be cooked separately.