In a large bowl combine chicken, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, salt, parsley, oregano, basil, pepper flakes, white pepper, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate while you prepare the yogurt sauce.
To make yogurt sauce, combine all sauce ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Sauce will keep in the fridge for three to four days.
To make chicken bites, wet hands and form chicken mixture into small 2 inch round patties, about ¼ inch thick. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (This can be done the day before – cover and refrigerate until ready to cook).
Heat barbecue or grill (patties can also be broiled). Brush each chicken bite with a little oil and cook for 6-8 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C), turning frequently.
Serve chicken bites with yogurt dipping sauce as an appetizer or stuff into mini pita pockets with tomato, cucumber and a little of the sauce. Chicken mixture can also be made into meatballs or burger sized patties.
- Serves: 14
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
Spicy Lemon Chicken Bites:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) ground chicken
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) breadcrumbs, dried
- 1 onion(s), small, peeled and finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) parsley, fresh, finely-chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano, dried
- 1 tsp (5 mL) basil, dried
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot red chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) white pepper, ground
- zest of one lemon
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- canola oil, for brushing
Dill & Mint Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain yogurt, (preferably not fat free) drained
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice, fresh
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mint leaves, loosely packed, finely-chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dill, finely-chopped
- chives, small bunch, finely-chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to tast