- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a 12 x 12 inch (30 x 30 cm) baking dish with non-stick vegetable spray.
- Prepare the spaghetti squash by splitting in half lengthwise, removing seeds and discarding. Use a fork to pierce the outer skin in several places. Place squash, cut side down, on a baking dish and pour in ½ cup (125 mL) water. Bake for 45 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork and you can pull the flesh away into spaghetti-like strands. Alternately, follow the tips above and microwave on HIGH power for 15 minutes. Check for tenderness after 8 minutes. Turn and continue to microwave for 7 minutes or until tender.
- Prepare the sauce while the squash is cooking. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Sauté minced garlic and diced onion until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Cut chicken into ½ inch (1.25 cm) cubes. Add to pan and sauté further until cooked through.
- Stir in pasta sauce and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix shredded mozzarella and feta cheese. Slice the basil leaves and mince the rosemary. Mix with the two cheeses.
- Spread half of spaghetti squash strands on the bottom of the baking dish. Top with half of the chicken & sauce followed by half the grated cheese and herbs. Repeat layers.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is lightly browned.
For a healthy dish choose a ready-made sauce that is lower in fat and sodium.
If you want a gluten-free version make sure you use a gluten-free Marinara pasta sauce.
This dish freezes well. You can also thin any leftover with chicken broth for a quick & delicious soup!