Place drumsticks on bottom of slow cooker.
Cover with chickpeas, diced tomatoes, diced red pepper, onions, sweet potato, and celery.
Mix spices, including garlic and bay leaf with chicken broth, tamari and olive oil and pour over contents of slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours (high for 3-4 hours).
The sauce can be thickened, if desired, by mixing a tablespoon of cornstarch with ½ cup of the sauce from the stew. Add cornstarch mixture to stew and mix well.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 14 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 1 can (540 mL) chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomatoes, fresh, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) onions, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) celery, sliced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sweet paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 mL) basil, dried
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tamari
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups (750 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced