- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Wrap cloves of garlic in foil and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until soft when pierced with a sharp knife. Cool and remove pulp from cloves by squeezing, leaving skin behind. Mash.
- Remove the skin from the cooked chicken. Cut the meat into bite-size pieces. You should get 2 ½ to 3 cups of diced chicken from this.
- Pour the stock into the large saucepan and add the garlic, thyme, lemon rind and celery. Drain and rinse the canned beans under running cold water. Add to pot. Bring to a boil, and then simmer gently for 5 minutes. Add chicken pieces and heat another few minutes.
- Taste for flavour and season with fresh black pepper. Scatter fresh chopped parsley over top and serve.
You can wrap and freeze the chicken carcass to make homemade chicken stock at a later date.